University of Wisconsin–Madison

Welcome!

Greetings, and welcome to a new academic year!  After fifteen years of outstanding leadership, Helen Klebesadel has retired as director of the Women’s and Gender Studies Consortium.  Helen led the Consortium through many important transitions and played a critical role in securing the long-term stability of the Gender and Women Studies as an important component of the University of Wisconsin System.  Please join me in congratulating her on this well-deserved retirement, and wishing her the best as she continues to produce art and host creative workshops across the state!

As the new director, I’d like to offer a brief introduction of myself.  I am a native of Wisconsin and grew up in the LaCrosse area.  I attended the University of UW-LaCrosse and UW-Madison as part of my undergraduate degree, earning a BA in History and Gender and Women’s Studies in 2005.  After a brief stint in retail bank management, I returned to UW-Madison, this time enrolling in the newly formed MA program in GWS.  In 2010, I began PhD work at Duke University and graduated this summer with a PhD in History and a certificate in Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies.  My research focuses on the intersections of religion, gender, sexuality, and U.S. movements for social justice.  I look forward to applying my background in academia, administrative supervision, and community development to the work of the Consortium, and I am honored to work with students, staff, and faculty across the University of Wisconsin System to advance the goals of Gender and Women’s Studies as a statewide initiative.

Transitions
***This year the Consortium has two wonderful co-chairs: Dong Isbister from UW-Platteville and Ellie Schemenauer from UW-Whitewater.
***Caryn Murphy is the new interim director at UW-Oshkosh, and Alison Staudinger is the new chair at UW-Green Bay.

Summit Information:  “Transformative Education: Then. When? Now!”
Planning is already underway for the 2019 4W Summit and Women’s and Gender Studies Conference.  The conference runs from April 11-13 at the Pyle Center in Madison.  This year marks the 150th anniversary of women receiving degrees from the University of Wisconsin, and this year’s theme centers on women and gender in research, scholarship, program development, pedagogy, curriculum, creative work and/or community activism.  Please circulate the call for proposals to students, faculty, campus groups, and community activists and artists in your campus area.  We seek proposals from a broad range of disciplines: History, Women’s Studies, Gender Studies, LGBTQ Studies, and Sexuality Studies, especially as they as they intersect with such areas as Ethnic Studies, Class Studies, Disability Studies, International Studies, Poverty Studies, Peace Studies, Global Health, and Environmental and/or Sustainability Studies, and other inter-disciplines. Please spread the word widely!

Last year’s conference information can still be found here.

You can find the new call for proposals posted here.  The due date for submissions is 11:59 PM (US Eastern Daylight Time) on Thursday, November 1, 2018.

You can also like our Facebook page to receive and share regular updates on the Summit.